I'm going abroad! To Italy! I'll be studying physical theatre at the Accademia dell'Arte in Arezzo for this exciting spring semester. On this blog I will write about things I eat, places I go, things I eat, people I meet, things I eat, classes I take, and things I eat. You may read and be hungry. MUCH LOVE AND I MISS YOU!

Saturday, January 29, 2011

Airport Shenanigans

I've arrived! Yay yay yay! Both of my flights were splendid, although the first one was delayed 2 hours because of a mechanical something or other and I ended up with a surprise 4-5 hours at the Zurich airport waiting for a later version of my connection. Rather than sit in one of the very comfy Zurich airport chairs, I thought I would tour the airport duty free stores and document the most illogical items to be selling at an airport. I then tried to hypothesize why anyone would ever buy said items at an airport. I came up with the following items...


1. $10,000 fur coat. Literally, it was 9,950 swiss francs, which according to google is $10,560.43. Potential buyer thought process : "Wow, it is much colder than I expected here in Zurich! Especially since I am stuck indoors! I think I will spend $10,000 on a fur coat. It's duty-free and tax-free so it's a bargain."


2. Very large boots. Potential buyer thought process: "Oooo! I love those boots! It doesn't matter that I'm  already lugging two giant suitcases, I can fit them in my carry-on bag."


3. Luggage. Potential buyer thought process : "I brought all of these clothes but I forgot to pack them in anything! How convenient that I can buy luggage for them here!"


4. Fine jewelry. Potential buyer thought process: "O NO! I forgot to get a souvenir for my significant other! I guess I'll just get them something that doubles as a very-expensive-anniversary-gift. And then if there's something wrong with it, I'll just fly back to Zurich."


5. Chocolate truffles. Finally, something that makes sense. I refuse to mock these potential buyers. Also, I got a free truffle sample immediately after taking this picture.

<3, Giovanni

No comments:

Post a Comment